Thursday, July 14, 2016

Why I am here

Sorry for the big gap since my last post, I just did not feel I can write a proper one. (I'm a bit maximalist, sorry)

To help, to develop myself and for some adventures... This is what I am here for basically :)
As a volunteer I searched for so called opportunities on the webpage of Aiesec (link). I wanted to go far away to a developing country to see what it is in reality, I wanted to try out myself. I wanted to develop myself in a way is not taught in schools, but in real life. Originally I wanted to go to India, but a lot of my friends said it's dangerous and not so good. I told them it's just a preconception, but with time I looked after other countries in the region of South America and South Asia. I was a bit afraid of Africa, because I heard a lot of wars are going on. I did not know a lot about the situations there, so I just crossed it on my list. There were opportunities in Brasil, Chile, Cuba, in South America, and in Cambodia, Vietnam, Nepal in South Asia. I was searching long... What would they ensure for me, what would be my task, how many other volunteers are going there, etc. For example in a Cambodian opportunity, in the description there was a historical story about how the Cambodian teachers were persecuted by a dictator in the old times. The opportunity described how I (Myself!) can help to teach and help to the new teachers. It was an amazing feeling. :)
Most of the opportunities were English teaching, because it's easy and straightforward, a lot of them are blogging (not for me :D ) to popularize a region, and some were about taking care of children. I found some exceptions too, like developing water plumbing in regions without proper water. I was like: He? I go to a far away country to plumb? :D Later I understood how important it can be, and why it is a good opportunity
As there were a lot of opportunities I searched for some with the keyword leadership, because I wanted to develop myself besides exploring new cultures, landscapes, country and people, never forgetting that I would be a volunteer to help.

Fun fact: I just fetched all the Opportunity data with a python script and filtered them in my own way, here you can have a look at the filtering code: link

Here I write some more details about my choice to go with Aiesec, because there were other options too, like Erasmus (hungarian link), workaway, wwoof or just hitchhiking.... just kiddin' :D
These options are for everybody, so take a look if you want to travel and try out yourself ;)
For example every European between the age of 17 and 30 can go for a maximum 1 year (minimum 1 month) volunteering in an European country and everything, Everything will be payed by the European Union. What an offer! :)
At workaway there are a lot of offers around the globe, where you get accommodation, and food for helping. For other things you should take care yourself or maybe you find an opportunity which takes care about it. Every offer is special so you can find your favorite, they are flexible as I saw. Here is a Hungarian guy's article as an example: link
Wwoof is almost the same but, you will be working on an organic farm.
At Aiesec you should be under the age of 30 and you should have started a University education. In most of the cases you get food and accommodation, but it varies. So I had to take care about insurance, visa, pocket money, travel cost, vaccination... and at this opportunity I had to pay 150 USD which supports Aiesec Nepal to grow and help create similar opportunities.

I choose Aiesec because I wanted to go in a non European country and Aiesec was a safe option and the most organized organisation in terms of supporting me through the travel. And I did not wanted to truly work.

I choose 5-6 opportunities and applied for them on the web portal. On the after coming 3 days I had a lot of Skype/Viber/Whatsapp interviews (While I was learning for exams x) ) and I should choose from them because 3-4 opportunities answered and said, I can come. I had to maneuvers between them to chose the safest and best one, while getting more and more information about what I'll get and what I'll do there.
As a maximalist it was tough for me to make a decision, with a lot of free variables. I made me calm because all of them were just an opportunity. I have to make it to be the best one :) I'll never cry about "what if..."
I had no preconceptions about what it should be, I just felt it can be good. It's a good opportunity :)

No comments:

Post a Comment