Thursday, July 7, 2016

Summary: Electricity

It is not easy to me, but some said, it would be better to be able to read my blog in English, so I'm trying it. When it does not slow me down a lot, I will continue it, but I have some fears with it. Like English grammar... Uhh, tough stuff!
So I planned to write some thoughts about the electrical grid system here, because it's a lot other than back in Hungary/Europe. The biggest difference can be said with one word:
Loadshedding.
Loadshedding is a planned blackout rolling continuously through the country. The country is divided into 7 zones and every zone has it's own schedule when it'll be out of electricity. I downloaded an app to follow that and asked some people in which zone I am. Butwal is in the zone 6, so for today it was a planned blackout from 8 am until 2 pm and from 6 pm until 9 pm. Theoretically...
But there was electricity until 10 o'clock or so, but I'm without it some hours ago and it's 5 pm. So I hope it'll come back, or I finish my blog in 1 hour maximum, because my laptop's battery will exhaust. By the way... I use power bank for my mobile phone. When the bank is full it can charge my phone 2 times. So I leave the power bank on the charger whole day and at night I charge my mobile phone with it. So far it's works good. :)
As I heard there is an ongoing development of the grid system and therefore the schedule is not followed. So the blackouts are spontaneous and unforeseen long. Some times when the blackout is too long, the accumulators are drained and nothing works. Some people have aggregators  and they can use it in this cases. Theoretically 63 hour blackout is planned per week as loadshedding (from 168 --> 37% of the time).
Last time in the post about the telecommunication's, I described how the mobile system and the internet system is mostly protected from these blackouts, and some other important things, like ventilators.
There are some more interesting things as the consequence to the loadshedding. Here people have to do some investments into their own power supply. They buy accumulators, inverters, I saw some solar panels too, so they use modern self-supplying and invest in renewable energy. In Hungary, any such an investment in the long term self-supplying electricity system, has problems. The return of the investment comes after about 20 years and just few people thing it is worth to invest. Here the investment has some serious instant returns as electricity for watching tv, movies, surfing internet, so on...
I see it a bit in parallel to the brownfield investments vs greenfield investments in the second industrial revolution. In England where the industry was developed the new inventions were just slowly accepted as a brownfield investment, but in Germany they were rapidly spreading as greenfield investments. So here in Nepal the renewable energy has a great momentum to spread in the whole country, because here is no proper electrical grid. In Hungary it is spreading slowly because there IS a proper electric grid. So Nepal may overtake us in this aspect :)

---
I welcome any comments below, when I missed something or you just have some other toughts about the theme :)

1 comment:

  1. Typo: just few people thing/think

    mivel eddig mo-tol inkább nyugatabbra jártam így kicsit furcsa nekem hogy egy országban nem alapvető dolog az elektromosság nonstop. de ha ettől a megújuló energiaforrások mint a napelem vagy a házi kissebb szélerőművek gyorsabban terjednek akkor összességében inkább előny mint hátrány nem? persze az ottlakók nem biztos hogy így érzik amikor ülnek a sötét szobában

    ReplyDelete